summer social diy - outdoor necessities
Looking for some ways to spice up your summer barbecue? Wanting to add a new twist to an old favorite? You've come to the right spot. I'm about to reveal top secret DIY recipes to make your outdoor gathering a smashing success. This blog series is not only going to give you some cool summer secrets but will also teach you how to use amazing Young Living products to enhance your summer experiences!
Last week we covered marinades and deserts. Now, let's deal with the little, pesky guests that are not welcome and fixes for any boo boos that may happen.
Hot summer evenings outside are best enjoyed annoyance-free. Check out this awesome-smelling outside spray that will keep your evenings much more enjoyable.
- 2 oz Witch Hazel
- 2 oz distilled water
- 20 drops Thieves Essential Oil
- 20 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 20 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 20 drops Citronella Essential Oil
Mix together in a 4oz spray bottle. Shake before use.
BONUS: This can be a great diffuser blend for the back patio or camper, too! Use two drops of each oil with water in your diffuser.
If you forget to apply your outdoor spray, don’t worry. I have your back. This is perfect for kids!
DIY Soothing Stick
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops *Purification Essential Oil
- 3 drops *Peppermint Essential Oil
*Leave the Peppermint and Purification out of this recipe if using on children 2 years old or younger.
Combine these magical essential oils in a 10 ml roller and fill the rest with V6 complex oil or your favorite carrier oil. Apply this soothing stick roll-on to any areas you need and as often as you need it.
Spruce up your summer social with this beautiful DIY citronella candle. It is not only EASY but it will change the look of any table AND it actually WORKS!
Did you know that many of those store-bought citronella candles don't actually contain citronella oil? Instead, the candles are often just citronella ‘scented.’ BIG difference.
Floating Citronella Candle
- Glass bowl or container
- Decorations of your choice. You can use anything! (Lemon peels, orange peels, cinnamon sticks, lavender, rosemary, flower petals, river rocks, etc.)
- 20 drops Citronella Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 1 T Witch Hazel
- Water to top off glass bowl or container
- 1 unscented floating candle
- Gather decorations and arrange in a bowl. I recommend cutting them into two-inch pieces so they don’t bunch at the top of the bowl or cause it to overturn.
- Add Witch Hazel, Citronella, and Lemongrass Essential Oil to the bowl.
- Fill in the remaining bowl space with water.
- After placing your bowl outside, top it off with the floating candle and light it to create a cozy, aromatic ambiance you and your guests can enjoy throughout the evening.
Fun fact about Citronella Essential Oil! There are quite a few recipes out there to create your own aluminum-free deodorant with citronella. (We will save those for another class.) Meanwhile, did you know that the aluminum in deodorants has been linked to health problems, including the neurological damage associated with Alzheimer’s disease, and conditions like anemia, Lou Gehrig’s disease, glucose intolerance, memory problems, and Parkinson’s disease? GROSS!
Okay, this DIY is a little more complicated but definitely worth it! I promise. This will have you ready for all those mishaps that summer can bring.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 T beeswax
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 5 drops Myrrh or Helichrysum Essential Oil
- 1 drop Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
Melt all ingredients except the oils in a double boiler. When cooled, add essential oils and pour into glass jars or lip balm tubes. Allow to harden.
Apply to knees, elbows, and any other place that might need a little extra love.
Thank you for investing the time to learn more about how to find wellness. You DESERVE health and wellness and what better way to achieve it than through delicious food infused with oils.
Thank you for being here on this journey with me. I'm truly honored you're here.
With Love & Gratitude,
Hello! I’m Jess – mama to Reese and Kiera, wife to Rich, an environmental scientist, a nature lover and wellness broker. My passion is helping people and nature, both in my professional career and in my personal life. I have spent my career helping bridge the gap between commercial development and preserving nature. Essential oils have become my way to do the same between all the commercial products in our home and creating simple, products on my own. This blog shares my journey to a more natural lifestyle using essential oils, including the science behind essential oils, DIY recipes, tips, and ways to save money using plant-based alternatives. Check out my free email course ditch + switch – natural living with plant based products and learn the steps you need to take to kick those toxins to the curb.